Will Mouse Jiggler keep a "Locked" PC from hibernating/sleeping?

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Just wondering if Mouse Jiggler still runs if a user "Locks" their machine.  Some folks may have a group policy that has their machine hibernate or sleep after certain periods of inactivity.  I would assume that if Mouse Jiggler continues to operate after a user "Locks" their machine then the group policy would not take affect.

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:55 PM

It does not work if the screen is locked.  I wish it would !!  If I do not lock my PC it will stay on. if I lock it the policy kicks in and goes to sleep.

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Unfortunately, the design of Windows prevents this from working with the current Mouse Jiggler design.  For security reasons - so that you can't, say, write a program that pretends to be the lock screen to steal passwords, or one that changes users' passwords automatically - the "locked" desktop, as well as the "login" desktop are structurally separated from the desktop the user sees and that his normal programs run on, and have separate input streams - and a normal application is only able to inject mouse movements into the input stream for the user's desktop, not that of the login or locked desktop.

It would be theoretically possible to get around this by having the "jiggle" injected by a device driver, rather than directly by the program, but I'm afraid I don't have the tools or background to develop Windows device drivers.  (If anyone reading this does and would like to add such a driver to this project as an optional component, please do contact me!)